Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 16


Rain, rain go away...so that my basement will stay dry!

Yesterday afternoon I went down into the basement to find a pool of water the size of a twin-sized mattress on the floor. I went outside to check the front gutters that my hubby had worked so hard to get working properly. And sure enough, they were clogged with maple tree blossoms. Water from the roof poured over the side of the porch in waterfall fashion.

I turned on the news hoping to learn that the rain was ending soon - no such luck. We're going to have rain for the next two days.

Rescue for me and our basement came in the form of two teenage boys (pictured above). Brandon Peterson--on the right-- is one of our hometeachers. He and his brother, Mark, answered my desperate phone call for help and came over at about 9PM. They handled a ladder like pros, and dug out all the gucky cloggage. Then in an act of true service, they went on to completely clean the gutters, scraping them clean and rinsing them.

I stood on the lawn, holding the white garbage bag for them to drop the guck into. And I marveled at these two young men. Their work ethic and cheerfulness (especially considering the yuck factor) were amazing. I am so grateful to them.

It's been raining all day today, and my basement is dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment