Sunday, May 3, 2009

Day 14&15


This is the cherry tree my husband planted four years ago. He had ordered the tree from one of the gardening magazines and it arrived in a cardboard box. When he put it in the ground it didn't even come up to his knee. It looked like a stick stuck in the ground.

Last year we harvested just enough cherries to make one pie.

This year. Well, do you see all those white blossoms? Those are our future cherries. Looks to me like at least a three-pie tree. We'll harvest them in mid-July and enjoy some delicious sour cherry pies.

Over the last two days, I've tried to see beyond the "stick" stage of our life. Right now, with Leasie's diagnosis on top of our other challenges, things seem a bit bare. But like our lovely cherry tree, if I focus on the future fruit--what we're becoming as a family and hopefully what I'm becoming as a mom--then it doesn't seem so bad.

We've been so blessed with good friends and wonderful family members looking out for us. I feel closer to my children, more appreciative of my husband, and more grateful to my Heavenly Father for our blessings.

2 comments:

  1. I know you can do it Holly! You are such a great Mom!

    Love you!
    Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at our newly planted peach trees and hope that we have results as fine as yours with the cherry tree. For us, it was an exercise in self control picking off the peaches that were forming so that the roots could get well established. We did leave one little peach, but that was all. The racoons will probably get that but we will watch it grow and admire it until then.
    Love,
    Southern Mom

    ReplyDelete