Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 13

We learned today that Leasie has Lyme disease.

Leasie had flu-like symptoms and a strange rash last weekend, and I took her into the doctor on Monday. The doctor sent us home saying it was just a virus. Tuesday she was worse, and I had a nagging feeling that this wasn't "just a virus." I took her in again Tuesday and the doctor looked more closely at her rash. It extended on both sides of her face, like sideburns, and went under her chin. It was a large bullseye rash which is often manifest by Lyme disease. The doctor ordered blood work, and we got the results today. (We also think that the sickness she had last month and the ER visit was also due to Lyme disease.)

The good news is that we caught it very early. She will go on an agressive antibiotic treatment for the next 28 days. Then they'll do another blood test. And hopefully, it will be gone.

My poor girl. Now that I've read about Lyme disease I realize just how awful she must have been feeling last weekend: headache, fatigue, nausea, even depression.

I have faith that all will be well. We'll do our best to take care of her so she can fully recover.

2 comments:

  1. Give Leasie my love! I pray for you every day! I love reading your blog! You are an amazing mother and I look forward to the reunion this summer to see you! Keep up the positive attitude. We all love you.
    Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom, dad and brother all had Lyme's and with the antibiotics they all recovered. I'm sure Leasie will be just as lucky. Good thing you followed your instincts!

    ReplyDelete