Sunday, March 4, 2012

Skype

In our church we have a program called Home Teaching. And it's exactly what it sounds like. Every family is assigned a set of home teachers. These home teachers visit their families on a monthly basis. They share a spiritual message, do service, and are there to support the families of the congregation.

Here in Jakarta, the home teachers assigned to our family live in Sumatra. Sumatra is a small island - a completely separate island from the island of Java where we live.

Today we had our first home teaching visit via skype.

I was amazed at the technology. A true miracle that we can converse with people and see them! so far away. (Can you tell skype is new to our family?).

When it came time to end, our home teacher offered a prayer. My children, my husband, and I bowed our heads and closed our eyes. And there on the island of Sumatra, our home teacher did the same. He spoke a beautiful prayer, blessing our family...a family he has only seen through the computer monitor and has only talked to over skype. And yet, I felt his love and the love of a Heavenly Father who answers our prayers and watches over us.

Another first in Jakarta.

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful post. I am a skype grandma with my Arizona and Utah grandchildren. I love it.

    ReplyDelete