Friday, March 23, 2012

Dare to Dream

Ten years ago, I worked as an editor for a computer software training company. Future Enterprises, Inc. I dressed up with high heels every day, rode the metro into DC, and spent my days editing computer software instruction manuals. (Exciting place to be, but tortuously boring work).

The first year I was there, the top salesmen of the company earned an incredible award: a trip to Bali. The owners, a husband and wife, took a couple salesmen and their spouses to this tropical paradise. Since I was a recent college grad (aka poor), and the most junior member of the staff (aka poorest), Bali wasn't even part of my vocabulary. I remember thinking of it as an exotic place and as the farthest possible location away from me - both physically and metaphorically. Frankly, Bali wasn't even on my radar. It was someone else's award.

In less than forty-eight hours, my family is going to board a plane and fly to Bali.

I've been trying to wrap my mind around this fact and figure out how I feel about it. I am, of course, excited. But it's more than that. I certainly don't feel like I deserve this trip or that somehow I'm entitled to it in any way. I just feel incredibly blessed. And absolutely humbled by the opportunity.

Some dreams I never even dared to dream. Traveling to Bali...is one of them.

But perhaps those unspoken dreams, the ones we don't even allow ourselves to hope for, are the ones most worth celebrating.

So here's to a few days of blue sky and ocean breezes.
To temples amidst terraced rice fields.
And to discovering a place that was, until now, only a unspoken dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment