Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lost

Our passports were lost this week.

I couldn't find them. The most important documents we have here. Missing.

I had a distinct memory of putting them someplace safe. Hidden. But obviously, I hid them much too well.

The first night, my husband and I stayed up late, searching everywhere in the house. Every place I could think of. The next morning, I continued the search. This time more thorough. Every cupboard, every closet. I emptied drawers, I opened boxes, I went through the entire filing cabinet, file by file.

Nothing.

By noon I was sick. My head hurt and my stomach churned.

I started calculating the cost of replacements. I entertained the idea that perhaps they had been stolen...but I couldn't fathom how or by whom. My husband made inquiries at work if it was possible for our family to travel to Bali without them.

Nausea. I can only compare the sickening feeling to when I misplaced my wedding ring during the first year of our marriage. That was horrible.

At three o'clock in the afternoon, after nine hours of searching, Yuli and I were in the office. Yuli was helping me search by going through some boxes in the corner. I had just started searching a portable filing box, when Yuli screamed. She pulled out the ziplock bag with the passports.

I screamed. I jumped up and down. I hugged Yuli. And the relief was instant.

Where had I stashed those passports?

In a small pink Rubbermaid container filled with "Annie" scripts! (What was I thinking!???)

I moved the passports to a new spot. A spot that is still safe, but a bit more logical. I have also taken precautions and let everyone in the family know where they are. So you can bet, I will never, never lose them again.

2 comments:

  1. I lost Joaquin's passport once. It was when we were living in Spain and we were supposed to go to London and his was nowhere to be found. I tore the house apart and at the last minute I found it. It was inside a book I had read. Apparently, passports make great bookmarks. So glad you found yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had almost the exact same thing happen to me. I "hid" them somewhere and couldn't find them. Looked desperately, close to tears. Xiao Liang got involved, looking everywhere--hours before leaving for a trip. Finally, a triumphant scream--Xiao Liang had found them!! It was a miracle! So funny that our experiences are so similar... :)

    ReplyDelete