Friday, March 16, 2012

A Little Luck

I don't actually buy-in to the idea of "luck." I do believe in fate, blessings, and a lot of help from friends.


One difficulty of living overseas is finding things. I've lamented before, and I'll lament again, about missing Target - the one stop shop of all that is fabulous. Oh Target, how I miss you!

With St. Patrick's day (and a reason to turn an otherwise normal day into something really fun and memorable), I didn't get a good enough head-start to take advantage of online shopping. Which meant that I had to find everything here.

Easier said than done. Add in some traffic. And the task of locating the simplest items becomes a three hour car trip with no guarantee that what I'm looking for, will actually be at the store when I get there. As was the case yesterday when I went to the store, Grand Lucky (the irony of the store's name did not escape me) in search of Lucky Charms. Valiantly fought traffic. And no Lucky Charms.

But thanks to some great ideas from friends...like rainbow fruit kabobs (fresh fruit is one thing that Jakarta has plenty of). A friend who tracked down corned beef in Jakarta so we could have corned beef and cabbage. My husband's success at finding Lucky Charms for less than $10 a box. And a sister who had the foresight to send me some chocolate gold coins in a care package (thanks Jen!). And of course a lot of fun with green food coloring, we will carry on our family traditions.

Tonight in Jakarta, our family will munch on Lucky Charms and watch "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" while dragon flies the size of small birds buzz outside our windows and the palm trees rustle in the evening breeze.

Luck? Nope. Just lots of blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment