Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Driving

Because of this, I am driving. A lot. Which is a very scary, very big deal for me.

I knew I wanted to drive here, which is why I took the time to get my Indonesian driver's license way back in October. But until this week, I'd driven only half a dozen times to pretty easy places. And never solo. My husband was always in the car, giving me directions and step by step instructions.

The traffic here is scary because of the volume. The roads are scary because of the complete lack of lanes, traffic laws, and those dang mopeds that seem to come at me from all angles. And even after riding in a car all over Jakarta for the past six months, I still can't navigate the city. So many side roads, so many roads that look exactly the same, and did I mention the lack of traffic laws?

Friday night Leasie had a playdate at a friend's house. Margono had already left. And I had a choice to make. I could call a cab. Or I could get behind the wheel and go pick her up myself.

I was all ready to go. Then panic seized me. I called Amanda, who is my driving hero, and she came in the car as my passenger and moral support (her daughter was at the same playdate, so it all worked out nicely). And you know what? I did it. I drove. And I only almost hit one person. Not bad, I tell you. Not bad at all.

Yesterday, I was scheduled to substitute at Jakarta International School. Again, I could have called a cab. But I decided to drive. All by myself. I fought the morning traffic. I even conquered the U-turn under the toll road where two other major roads are merging into the shuffle. Forty minutes later, when I turned off the car and got out, I felt like doing a Toyota Joy jump right there in the parking lot. I refrained. But just barely.

And you know what I discovered? I have missed the freedom of driving myself. I have missed the feeling of independence.

On the way home yesterday, with Madi as my passenger, it was absolutely lovely. We laughed. We sang! (I haven't sung in the car since moving here). And we stopped at an antique store I spotted. And because I was driving, I could make the decision without having to ask someone else. Liberating.

So I don't know what will happen. There are still a lot of roads I don't know, and a lot of places I don't know how to get to. But it is a start.

I'm driving. And I'm lovin' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment