Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sunshine Buns

The house smelled like cinnamon rolls.
Warm, yeasty, sweet.
A recipe called "Sunshine Buns" from my friend, Karen.
And that's just what they were.
A bit of sunshine on an otherwise stormy day.

The kids lumbered off the bus.
Trudged through the rain.
Backpacks dropped from their shoulders.

I could see it in their faces.
A hard day.
And then they smelled the Sunshine Buns.
And the clouds in their countenances cleared away.

Food doesn't cure everything.
But today it helped.

So did an evening of fingernail painting.
(Especially with fun Shatter!)

So did snuggling on the couch with a read aloud.

And kisses from CJ worked wonders.

"How are you?" I asked my oldest as I tucked her in.
"Good."
"Really?" I asked, because now I know.
"Really."

There are plenty of clouds.
But there's lots of sunshine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment