Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The End

I don't think about "The End" very often. And when I do, it is fleeting, a passing thought. Sometimes my Leasie reminds me of endings with her heavenly homesickness. But this weekend, we watched all three Lord of the Ring movies. And I was struck by a conversation between Pippin and Gandalf:

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.

Gandalf: End? No the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it.

Pippin: What? Gandalf? See what?

Gandalf: White shores. And beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Ah. It gets me every time. Even as I write the words, I feel the power of them, the beauty and the truth of them.

I have many friends who are going through difficult things right now. And I am so very sad for them.

In my heart I have hope for a better world. When all the struggles and battles are over. When all the sicknesses and pain are done. When I've learned everything I came here to learn, I look forward to the grey rain-curtain of this world rolling back.

And I will look to my left and my right. I will be with those I love.

And together we will take in the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment