Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Joy Times Two

These twins of mine. How I love them!

I love that they've never been alone. They shared a crib. They shared bottles. They learned to crawl together. They learned to escape the playpen together. They rode in the double baby-jogger together. Together, they drove me crazy.
They rode the bus for the first time together and started Kindergarten together.

They've played together. They've laughed together. And they've cried (oh, how they cried!) together.

On Monday, the twins turned 8 years old. And that meant, that yesterday, they shared something else. They shared their baptism day.
They were baptized in a pool. At the Paul's home. Here in Indonesia. Grandma and Poppy, who traveled all the way to the other side of the world for that special moment, spoke at the baptism. They bore their testimonies not just with their words but also through their presence - such a tremendous effort to be here for the occasion.

It was late in the evening when we made our way outside to the pool. The sky was dark. Insects swarmed the porch lights leaving a scattering of wings on the steps.

Amelia entered the water first, wearing the white dress Grandma made. The evening call to prayer was loud and close. Not a quiet background noise. As their Dad offered the baptism prayer, calm yet strong into the night, I felt a power. The Muslim song mixed with our Christian prayer. A contrast, and yet so fitting for a baptism in this beautiful country we love.

Truman followed his sister. And Dad offered the second baptismal prayer of the night.

I had envisioned this moment in my mind before. Of course, not in my wildest dreams had I ever imagined any of my children would be baptized in Indonesia.

Nothing can compare to the magnitude of joy and love I felt at that moment. My heart was so full, it nearly burst.
I love that these babies of mine came together to this world. In the process, they rocked my little world...but also made me a better person.

Joy times two.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those little babies! Can't believe they are 8! What wonderful night!Miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete