Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Eve

The mountain road closed minutes (maybe even seconds) before we arrived. We are the fifth car in the line of cars that grows steadily.

"What do you mean the road will be closed for the next three hours?" I ask the Indonesian policeman.

He doesn't understand my question, or is just too polite to answer.

We turn around and consult a map.

Yes, there is another road. It winds down the other side of the Puncak pass toward Bandung, and curves around to head back to Jakarta. It will add at least 2 hours onto our drive. We've never driven that far. Heck, I've never driven in this country off the beaten path. We weigh our options, and choose to drive instead of waiting three hours.

The scenery is beautiful. But the roads are too harrowing for me to take much note of anything else. I drive the stick shift up and down the mountain roads. Near misses as I round curves and other trucks are driving in the middle of the road!

Bumps rattle the suspension, send the potted plants we'd purchased flying in the back seat. Tman sweeps up the dislodged dirt with his hands.

Five hours on the road. My Dad sits in the passenger seat and keeps us entertained with stories from his childhood.

Potty breaks at gas stations. I try not to think of my too-long pants dragging on the floor. Nearly scream outloud when my purse falls off the hanger onto the damp tiles. Hand sanitizer please.
We arrive home and my legs are shaking.

I'm in bed by 9pm - exhausted.

I wake to the sound of popcorn. No, not popcorn, fireworks. So many pops and booms it could be popcorn. The clock tells me it is 2012. I check on everyone. They are asleep. I decide to wake Madi.

We walk outside together to a sky lit up by fireworks. Everywhere we look, every direction, the sky is filled with light. I have never seen so many fireworks...not even on the 4th of July. Our neighbors wave and call out a "Happy New Year!" Madi and I are the only ones in our pajamas. I squeeze her shoulders, happy she is here with me.

We go inside before the fireworks have ended.

I find my husband asleep. He drove the other car today and is as tired as I am. If the fireworks haven't woken him, I decide not to wake him either.

I bend down and whisper in his ear, "Happy New Year."

No comments:

Post a Comment