Sunday, August 9, 2009

60

When I asked my Dad what he wanted to do for his 60th birthday, he said, "Raft the Colorado River!" So for his 60th birthday, we rafted...the Shenandoah River (which was just slightly more reasonable and logistically realistic for us). We drove to Harpers Ferry, WV and boarded a big yellow bus with sixty other rafters. At the drop off point, we got in a blue inflatable raft with our able guide, Ross, and took off paddling down the river.
We hit some class III rapids which got our hearts pounding. I heard some whoops from my Dad over the sound of my own screams.
Madi and Leasie were great riders, though I think their favorite moments were when they got to get out the raft to swim and when they got to pick a treat from the rafting store at the end - they both opted for Doritos and a pushpop.
The water felt wonderfully cool after sitting in the hot afternoon sun.
We returned home, picked up the other three kids (thank you my dear friends who watched my children!), and continued the celebration with a birthday apple pie.

I've been on many adventures with my dad. We hiked to the ocean on the Washington coast for my eighth birthday. We flew on a float plane to a remote cabin on a mountain lake and stayed there for a week. We kayaked in Alaska, went apple picking in Massachusetts, and have run races every place we've lived. It was fitting, then, to celebrate my Dad's birthday with an adventure.

Here's to many more!

1 comment:

  1. What a riot! I love the relationship you have with your dad. And rafting is SO STINKING FUN! I need to take my kids :)

    ReplyDelete