Thursday, July 23, 2009

Zoo 2


"Let me show her the turtles!" Madi pleaded. She took Baby C from my arms and marched over to the large tank. The snake turtles with long snake-like necks bobbed and swam in a festive dance. Baby C clapped her hands. "She likes them...just like me!" Madi said proudly.

Nearly nine years ago, I took Madi to the zoo for the first time. I went with a playgroup--my great mommy friends, Corinne and Jodi. Our children were too little to appreciate everything they saw, and while I had a great time, I remember being a bit disappointed in Madi's anti-climatic reaction to the amazing animals...that is, until she saw the snake turtles. I held her close enough to the tank that she could place her chubby hands on the glass. She giggled. She squealed. She clapped. She loved them!

Madi and Leasie took it upon themselves to introduce Baby C to the zoo. They carried her through the monkey house, delighted to see her reaction. They toted her through the reptile house making snake sounds. And they played with her on the big plastic pizza.
Experiencing the zoo through the eyes of an almost-toddler is so fun. But watching Leasie and Madi help show their baby sister the zoo? Priceless.

1 comment: