Saturday, July 18, 2009

A New Happy Place

The theater was full. The eager audience chatted over the pre-movie ads playing on the screen. I grabbed a hand full of buttery popcorn and settled back into the tall comfy seat...worth every bit of the extra money. Madi sat next to me, using the short straw to sip root beer out of our large shared cup. My tall straw nearly poked her eye.

"Do you think the inferi are going to be too scary? What do you think Lavender will look like? Bellatrix is the greatest villan ever!--except Voldermort, of course."

We posed questions. We threw out guesses. We reminded each other about the plot - Madi has a much better memory than I do. And we both got very excited.

Suddenly, the lights dimmed and my nine-year-old daughter reached across the arm rest and gave my hand a squeeze. For the next two and half hours, we laughed, we cringed, we hid our eyes (yes, the inferi were scary), we cheered, we cried, and we held hands as we watched a beloved hero die.

I have a new favorite place: Harry Potter with Madi.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw it last night! I thought it was really good. I always hate how they cut so much of the intricate nature of the plot but of course what else can they do. I was missing you as I often do when I'm looking for someone to share a good movie or book with. Right now Shakespeare is playing outdoors on the Boston Common. There is no one I would rather see it with than you. I wish we were closer but I'm thankful we stay in touch. Thank goodness for computers!

    ReplyDelete