Sunday, July 5, 2009

Blessed to be an American

We ALL got into the spirit of the holiday! And at the end of the day, we all agreed that the 4th of July is one of our favorite days of the year. Here's why...

We ate the annual pancake breakfast on the church lawn complete with sausages, orange juice, fruit, and even mini boxes of sugar cereal. I can't remember a more temperate and beautiful 4th of July morning.

Madi decorated Baby C with stars to complete her patriotic outfit.

Madi, Leasie, and I rode on the church's float in the parade. We sang "My Country Tis of Thee," "This Land is Your Land," and "America, the Beautiful." Madi stood in front of me - I could hear her pretty voice. I loved seeing Meya yelling from the curb "Hi Mommy! You're doing so good!!" I loved seeing people sing along as we passed by. I loved feeling all warm and tingly with patriotic love.

Wonderful phone call at 2pm: "Do you want to come over for a BBQ?" My response: "YES! I'll bring blueberry pie!" Picnic with friends was wonderful. The kids got soaked with a waterballoon fight. I stuffed myself with marinaded zuccini, grilled chicken, savory pasta salad, raspberries fresh from the bushes, garden-grown cucumbers, and homemade blueberry pie. We ate outside at tables decorated with wild flowers. Laughed as we watched the kids play a game of kickball.

Annual fireworks at the bishop's house. Our former bishop lives adjacent to the park where the fireworks are shot off. His ideal backyard is the gathering spot for the entire ward, plus friends. We arrived just as dusk was darkening to night. The stars were out, the moon was full. The yard was a maze of blankets, chairs, and all our friends. We helped ourselves to more food and took our seats to watch the show. Meya sat in my lap. She gave a running commentary of every single firework: "That one was beautiful! Oooh, that one was pink. Wow that one looked like fireflies..." I loved feeling her warm skin as I wrapped my arms around her, and I relished her excitement.

Baby C clapped her hands and giggled nonstop for the first half of the fireworks. Then she collapsed asleep in hubby's arms after a very full day. Not even the fireworks finale woke her up.

I am so glad to be an American. On this day, I feel very blessed.

3 comments:

  1. I agree - the weather was perfect for funtimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely celebration! We are all so blessed to be Americans.
    Southern Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too had a celebratory 4th which didn't end until the 5th! Fireworks, barbeques, friends and appreciation for our amazing freedom!

    ReplyDelete