Thursday, July 23, 2009

15 Books

My friend, Corinne, posted a facebook request today that I LOVED. "15 Books that will always stick with you. First 15 you can think of in 15 minutes."

Here's my list of 15
1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (deserves its own blog entry someday)
2. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
3. Hamlet by William Shakespeare
4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
5. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
6. Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
7. Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
8. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
9. Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
10. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
11. I Heard the Owl Call my Name by Margaret Craven
12. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
13. Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
14. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
15. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
16. The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown (sorry had to add one more!)

Each of these stories affected me. They either changed the way I perceived the world or they made me feel so deeply that they left a permanent impression on my mind and heart...in other words, they have stuck with me.

I'd love to know your top 15 - post a comment or send me a note on facebook or email.

3 comments:

  1. So, I haven't read four of those. But they will go on my list :) GREAT choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Book Thief is on the kindle. Didn't love Tale of Desperaux...we read it allowed.

    Love E of E.

    Gonna take a few from your list and aspire to read....more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. We share a few in common. And then for me there is also The Red Tent, The Kite Runner, The Golden Compass, Pride and Prejudice, The Poisonwood Bible...I could go on and on! PS Have you and the kids read The Underneath? I hear it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete