Sunday, March 1, 2009

Little Things

I've decided that it's the little things all added together that can make a huge difference in a family. It's a whole lot easier for me to wrap my mind (and limited energy) around doing small things on a regular basis, than trying to tackle the huge, overwhelming, looming task of successfully raising five happy, loving, responsible children.

Here's what I mean by "little things": When I was school-age, I brought a packed lunch to school nearly every day. Each day I'd sit down at the long white cafeteria table, open my brown paper bag, and remove my neatly folded napkin. On the napkin was always a small, handwritten message from my mom. Some days her message was as simple as "I love you" and other days her message was more specific like, "Good luck on your test today." I could always count on her love notes, written with black marker on kitchen napkins. There were days when I tucked the note away quickly and headed right to the food, there were other days that her message sustained me throughout the rest of a difficult day, and then there were days when my mother's influential words directed my actions and decisions.

Like my mom, I write love notes to my children on their lunch napkins too. It's a little thing. But I hope all the love notes added together over the years will make a difference in their lives.

Another little thing...as I was growing up, each night and morning my family knelt together in a circle for "family prayer." We each took turns saying the prayer. I loved hearing my parents pray for me and my sisters by name. After the "Amen" we all put our hands in the center of the circle for a football-style cheer. We'd yell, "Sure Love Ya!" Again, it was just a little thing. But there were times when doing the cheer, I felt like we were the best family in the world.

With my own family, we have daily family prayer. And following the prayer, we do a "Sure Love Ya!" cheer too. Then about two years ago, the twins (who were enamored with Telletubbies) wanted to add a "Big Hug!" at the end. So we do that too.

Little things.
Love notes on paper napkins.
Family prayer.
Cheers.
Hugs.

Little things can make all the difference.

3 comments:

  1. It is the little things, for sure. And I think those little things make me feel like I'm doing a good job (if I can just focus on those things). Here's a little thing I do...I try to make a point to turn up the ipod music once a day and dance around the kitchen with the girls. Sometimes when I'm really stressed and cranky I do this and it cheers everyone up.

    Thanks for sharing (and I love your little "book shelf") Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post brought back so many memories! I always wrote notes to my children in their lunches too! I am learning to appreciate the little things even more as I grow older. A phone call from my daughter just to see how I am, a quick hug from a student, a clean kitchen when I come home from a late night at school. Little things really do make a difference. thanks for reminding me!
    Love you,
    Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those little things add up to one big thing-you are a great mom! I feel good when I remember to feed the cat and turn off the porch light before I leave for work-those are my small domestic victories. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete