Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Snow Miracle

When I was old enough to pray, I prayed regularly for three things: 1) that my Dad would get a new job (he was in the army and looking for a change), 2) a baby sister, and 3) snow. The last item would actually require the biggest miracle because we were living in Mobile, Alabama.

The year that I turned five years old, my prayers were answered...my Dad got hired to be a Coast Guard helicopter pilot, my family adopted my sister, and it snowed. (I'm going to write a book about it someday). But for today, I just wanted to write about the miracle of the snowstorm. I had only seen snow in books or on TV. So when I finally saw it falling from the sky and tasted the cold flakes on my tongue, it was incredible. We did not own any sleds, so my Dad got out our slippery blue sleeping bag pads. We trudged to the top of the small hill behind our house and sledded down the hill again and again until the green grass showed through.

I think because I prayed three years for snow, that I still LOVE when it snows. It still holds a miraculous element for me.

On Sunday and Monday we enjoyed a huge snowstorm along with the rest of the East Coast. We made the most of it, sledding, drinking hot chocolate, making snow angels, and building snow castles in the back yard. As I listened to the girls say their nighttime prayers, I had to smile.

They thanked Heavenly Father for snow, and prayed for more. Just like me.

2 comments:

  1. I love this story. I can picture you way back then with arms open to the sky catching snowflakes on your tongue. I too love snow. I can't imagine living some place where it doesn't snow. For me the seasons shape so much of my life. Of course, I love spring too. I hope you are also getting this warm burst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that there was SERIOUSLY snow action at my house that day. My kids told me all about how Dad took them outside, I was so pleased that Clint's work actually closed for the day so he could feel free to play outside :)

    ReplyDelete