Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Jakarta Orphanage

Tonight, with the presents all wrapped, the lights on the tree twinkling, and soft carols playing, I found myself feeling homesick. I knew my parents and sister were gathered together for Megan's blessing, Katie's birthday, and of course, Christmas. And even though I am surrounded by my own family and good friends, I felt the homesickness begin to creep in.

So in an effort to ward off potential Christmas blues, I thought I'd write about something wonderful that happened this Christmas season.

For our ward primary activity, we loaded all 32 primary children on a huge blue bus (yes, the logistics were crazy) and drove to The Shining Star Orphanage - a Christian orphanage in South Jakarta. The idea was to have our primary children do what Christ had done during his life: serve. We planned a morning full of activities including coloring, games, and making Christmas decorations. We also brought gifts for each orphan.

We were greeted by 42 children ages 4-17. Some were orphans in the traditional sense (their parents had died). Some were orphans because their parents had decided they would receive better care at an orphanage than at home usually due to extreme poverty. 

 
We colored together.

We cut snowflakes.
We strung popcorn and beads to decorate their Christmas tree.

We came to the orphanage to do good. But the reality was the orphans went out of their way to welcome us, to make us feel happy. They smiled. They introduced themselves. They sang a song called "Happy Birthday Jesus." And they expressed gratitude again and again.We came hoping to lift their burdens and bring some joy to their lives. But really, they did that for us. I left humbled by their cheerfulness. These children, who have so little in this world, taught me about what it means to be happy.

"Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Light. Joy. Gratitude. Love.
Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Christmas present to share with the children. And what a wonderful present you all received. Merry Christmas in a land far away, but not really, as we are as close as the Internet, despite the time zone differences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you post the contact details of this orphanage? I would like to visit it.

    ReplyDelete