Friday, December 7, 2012

Exams and a Second "Home"

Here at Jakarta International School, the high school semester exams are a BIG deal. I'm talking, serious, collegiate-like exams.  

Thursday morning, I arrived at 6:45 to set up the 9th grade English exams.
I walked into the gymnasium and was greeted by this sight: 

 Two hundred and twenty empty desks waiting for the students. Then at 7:15, the students arrived. The stress level was tangible - like a humming static in the air.
I had vivid flashbacks of the BYU testing center.
My favorite moment was watching my students look up after reading the "unseen" short story and giving me a knowing nod. Yep, they got it! 

In addition to exams, there has been some much needed celebrating in the English department too.
Can I just say, I love my department. I love these teachers.
These are incredible people - they love books, they love teaching, they love life, and they work HARD. Such good people.
I am in constant awe. In addition to the hard work, there is plenty of laughter and weighty lit discussions around the center module lunch table. Joy!
Every time I am with these people, I am inspired to be a better person.

I have never felt more at home (outside of my own home and a few choice friends' homes). 
We celebrated Christmas (yes, Christmas at a secular institution!) with Indian food, Nat King Cole music, cinnamon rolls, and a white elephant gift exchange. And in the end, the group was too nice to do much stealing.
Everyone needs a place where they feel like they really belong.

 I'm so grateful to have found this second "home."
 

1 comment:

  1. Before I read your post, I saw that pic of the desks and immediately thought "Ugh! That looks like the BYU Testing Center!"

    ReplyDelete