Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer in Indonesia

The kids are screaming upstairs. Well, it's more of squealing. And until anyone comes to me crying, I will assume it is pure sounds of fun. (How's that for good parenting?)

I had a friend ask via email how my summer has been since getting home. I have been so busy recording our trip (and it is taking me much much too long), that the rest of our summer has drifted into oblivion...at least blog-o-sphere oblivion. So let me take a short intermission of trip-blogs to write what we've been doing the past three weeks.

We have been swimming. Since Jakarta is not very conducive or cooperative to outside playing at parks or long walks, we try to go to the pool as often as possible. And oh the imagination games that occur when there are no waterslides or lazy rivers to entertain us. Titanic, mermaids, and Shark-Attack!! are some of their favorites.

We have been celebrating. I woke up absolutely panicked (heart-pounding, gasping for breath) one morning after a vivid dream. The nightmare? In my dream all my children were all grown up. The panicked feeling remained with me for a good part of the morning. I had some serious reflection moments and realized that this nightmare is going to come true...just not for a few more years. And I felt strongly that I needed to make this summer count. Make some memories. Enjoy childhood. Enjoy my children. That sort of thing.

So we've had a camping day where we set up the tent inside and roasted hotdogs and marshmallows over the gas burner.

We had a Christmas day where we listened to Christmas music, ate cinnamon rolls for breakfast, made snowflakes, and had a special ham dinner. Today we are celebrating Pioneer Day, and this Friday we are having a 4th of July re-do day.

We have been playing boardgames and reading chapter books. We are doing fun things and enjoying the non-scheduled, laziness of summer. I guess you could say I've just been trying to live this summer to its fullest. And in my home, that means making the most of the quiet times, surviving the crazy times, and holding on to memory-making as though I were wielding a sword used to fight off the vicious passage of time.

Oh how grateful I am for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment