Sunday, July 15, 2012

Swimming and Cooking

"Let's have a pool party!" Madi requests. She is very specific in her request. There should be different kinds of cheese, nectarines, crackers, bread, and olive oil.

I go to the cheese counter at the grocery store in Molino del Piano, and I'm a bit intimidated. The case is stuffed with cheeses - wrapped cheeses, sliced cheeses, hard and soft cheese, golden yellow to white spotted cheese with blue flecks. Not only do I not know how to pronounce any of the names (except mozzarella and Parmesan), I really have no idea what to get. With my limited Italian, I just point, and the man behind the counter smilingly obliges. We end up with a plate full of cheese surprises. And none of them disappoint.

We take turns jumping across the pool to catch the frisbee, then run to the shade for a nibble of cheese and fruit. It is a memorable afternoon.






In the above picture Leasie is saying "This cheese is soooo good!" Then she's off for more frisbee.





I do love to cook. But my favorite cooking experience to date is here in Tuscany. The windows of the villa are open and the breeze carries the smell of jasmine. I turn my ipod to Andre Bocelli (the only Italian music I have brought with me) and hum as I saute the shallots and garlic in olive oil. The plump red tomato and fresh green basil add color and flavor to the chicken. I am inspired by the view of the hills, the olive groves, the grape vineyards.


We parade the dishes and food outside under the veranda. Everything tastes better outside, don't you think? As I look around the table and the landscape, I decide it is no surprise that the Italians are a happy, expressive, people who love good food and family. To be surrounded by this much beauty and bounty. I dip my bread in olive oil and enjoy this Italian moment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment