Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Room of my Own

It was a surreal experience to set up my own classroom. Butterflies in my stomach. Christmas morning excitement. And of course a few moments of nausea-inducing dread. Even though I have taught for five years, it was all at a community college. This meant that I didn't really have my own space. I had a large "bag of tricks" and my laptop that I toted to a new classroom each semester.

But now, my own space. Oh the possibilities.


Desks to arrange...shall I put them together in table-groups? Should I make a U?

Bulletin Boards. Let's just say I have become quite adept using a stapler.

A couple plants...because I love green.

Gigantic pillows for a comfy reading corner.

The first of many quotes hung in a prominent location:
You see things; and you say, “Why?”
But I dream things that never were; and I say, “Why not?”
George Bernard Shaw

And on my door an invitation:
If you are a dreamer,
come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my  fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in!

-Shel Silverstein


Each time I walk into my room, I get that thrilling tingle. A room of possibilities. A room for learning. A room for inspiring.

I can't wait for my students to arrive. Because really, it's not just my room. It's our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment