Sunday, July 22, 2012

Grandma and Poppy

My parents have taken me to many amazing places. I had the priviledge of spending part of my childhood in beautiful Sitka, Alaska. And instead of normal summer vacations, our family had "adventures." Some of these included float plane rides to remote lakes with Forest Service cabins. During my teenage years, they took me to Cape Cod, MA where I fell in love with Boston and East Coast autumns. We continued the tradition of adventures with ski trips to Nestlebrook Inn and winter/summer drives out to P-town and the Coast Guard beach.

Then when I was in college, Mom flew out to meet me in England. We had the craziest, most wonderful time together walking to St. Peter's Cathedral, seeing "Oliver," and taking a train ride up to Scotland. We quite enjoyed flanking a Scottish guard in a kilt. And we were reprimanded by the local police for attempting to hike up a hill that had clearly been blocked off from public use. Oops.

Adventures. Stories. Memories.

So it seemed a special, full-circle kind of moment to have my parents join us in Italy for more family adventures.


Of course, I realize my parents were not just there to see me or Italy. The grandchildren were a large draw! And oh how my kids loved their "Grandma-Poppy-time." Grandma held Amelia's hand on all of our walks (taking breaks only to wipe the sweat off - it was hot!), Tman wore his hat, purchased by Poppy, with extra pride. Leasie loved driving the four-person bike with her grandparents. One of Madi's favorite outings was seeing Michelanglo's statue of Moses with just her Mom and Grandparents. And CJ hugged each of them any chance she got.

And my favorite moments with my parents? It would have to be my morning runs with Dad, our double-date dinner with the Colosseum looming in the background, and watching the sunset for the last time on our roof.

So Mom and Dad, thank you for all the adventures. All the stories. All the love!

Until our next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment