Friday, April 17, 2009

30 Second Melodrama

I was three years old the first time I performed on a stage. It was for a church function - a variety show, I think. I did a 30 second melodrama. I remember standing back stage in the the glow of a red light. I wore a long pink dress and used a kleenex, pinched in the middle for my bow/mustache/bowtie prop. I actually remember walking out on stage and looking at the crowd that filled the church gym.

Tonight, Meya (5yrs) did the exact same performance. It wasn't her stage debut, but it was her first solo performance. She was darling:

"I can't pay the rent."
"You must pay the rent!"
"I can't pay the rent."
"You must pay the rent!"
"I'll pay the rent"
"My hero"

This girl had zero stage fright. She walked up on the stage, did her thing, and curtsied with poise. And she LOVED it - loved the practicing, loved the performance, and LOVED the applause.

As a mom, I was secretly hoping at least one of my children would have the acting bug. Mostly because I enjoy it so much. Looks like Meya's the one! I hope she and I will get to do some shows together in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment