Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mid-Life Birthday


My 35th birthday brought mixed emotions. But all the received well-wishes helped me embrace the good. Here are some of my faves...

My little Sister: "Happy 29th Birthday!"
My hubby: "You've now joined me in the prime of life"
A teenager at church: "At least you look like a teenager!" (a stretch, but who's arguing?)
Madi: "You are the Birthday Queen!" (pictured above)
My Mom: "At least you're not turning 60"



This milestone birthday made me reflect on the good and not-so-good decisions in my life. And so here's my list of best choices, and biggest regrets over the last 35 years. Hopefully, by writing them down, I'll learn from both lists...so that the next 35 years will be even better.

Regrets (I'll start with the lows):
1. "Caving" at my Concert Choir audition for Mac Wilberg
2. Forgoing our honeymoon to use the money to fix the transmission on the car
3. Buying our house without seeing it first-hand
4. Complaining too much
5. Being too concerned with appearances
6. Not minoring in music at BYU
7. Not developing the talent for organization
8. Waiting so long to start writing seriously
9. Not being kind to my sisters when we were young
10. Not staying in touch with friends better

Best Choices:
1. Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
2. Marrying my hubby
3. Having children
4. Choosing to be an at-home Mom
5. Pursuing English literature instead of wallowing in Pre-med
6. Applying for Grad program at Georgetown
7. Writing letter to Dean of Grad program at Georgetown for scholarship
8. Running
9. Never smoked, never drank, never experimented...not even once
10. Taking vacations, day trips, and road trips
11. Learning to play the piano (thanks Mom and Dad)
12. Writing...even if I should have started sooner
13. Singing at home, in church, in choirs, and in musical productions
14. Making friends along the way and staying in touch

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, my wonderful friend. Even though you are 500 miles away, you remain one of my closest and dearest friends. I miss your company often in my life, but I'm so thankful we can blog, email, and share life's moments even separated by such a distance. You continue to inspire me as a mother, writer, and Christian. I love you! Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love you - lists are good things. I like to always leave the good as the final taste in my mouth :)

    ReplyDelete