Monday, May 13, 2013

Moments

There was a time (about 9 years ago) that my ideal Mother's Day weekend consisted of much pampering - a mani-pedi, brunch, dinner out at my favorite restaurant, maybe some solo shopping, and a long nap on Sunday afternoon. It was my weekend to take a break and recharge. Absence makes the heart grown fonder, and it seemed that if I had a little time to myself, I came back a much happier mommy. I've decided not to judge myself too harshly. I'm simply owning up to that phase of my life. (Reminder to self that this was the 3 kids in diapers phase, no one yet even in preschool, and husband was gone 12-15 hours a day).

Fast forward to yesterday. Mother's Day 2013. Now that my kids are older (and all potty trained), all I wanted to do for Mother's Day was just BE with them. And gratefully, they were extremely accommodating.

Here are some moments that probably won't make much sense to anyone but my kids and I, but for the record, I just want to remember:

Broiled tomatoes with pesto - a little taste of my favorite English breakfast (thank you dear husband for remembering).

Cradle-carrying CJ to the shower in the morning. She decides to make her body go stiff like a plank, and we both laugh at her "trickery."

Singing the opening hymn with Madi. I have to stop singing because I am overwhelmed with gratitude. "What's wrong Mom?" she asks. Then she sees my eyes and just knows. She rests her head on my shoulder.

A game of Dominion on the dining table. Madi won. Truman got second. Amelia third. Elise and I high five across the table for tied-last.

A walk in the late afternoon through the neighborhood to see the parrots at the end of the cal-de-sac. Truman reaches out and takes my hand. A few moments later, Amelia takes my other hand.

Banana bread, hot from the oven with sticky pecan sauce poured over the top. We all dig in. I LOVE baking with my children.

An impromptu concert by my favorite musicians. Even their rendition of "Twinkle twinkle Little Star" makes me proud.  

In pjs, all the kids pile onto my bed. They don't fit the way they used to. Elise has to lay across the bottom of the bed. Truman nearly falls off the side. We read our favorite books: What do you Love?, Sophie's Masterpiece, Weekend with Wendel, Angelina Ballerina, and of course, Goodnight Moon.

And I know sitting there surrounded by the best part of my life, the part that matters the most, there is nothing more beautiful, and no where I'd rather be.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment