Friday, May 31, 2013

2 of 10

This goal of ten posts for ten consecutive days is proving more challenging than I'd expected. It's 4pm on Friday afternoon. Charlotte and her friend are playing house. Tman is playing wii. Madi is at a slumber party, and Meya is somewhere riding bikes in the neighborhood. Finally a free minute...

I spent the majority of my day with Leasie. At Jakarta International School, in place of parent-teacher conferences, they have Student Led Conferences (SLC). Students invest many hours to prepare a google document as a "map" of their academic year. The document contains links to projects, tests, and slides shows.

Today, Leasie and I went to her classroom for her SLC. She completely directed the meeting. For forty-five minutes, she took me through the progress she's made on math, writing, and reading. She shared her goals and accomplishments. She also shared her "reflections" about the year. What a thrill to see independence, classroom technology, and the fostering of responsibility in students! I was very impressed.

Next she showed me her favorite rooms: the art room and the music room. I discovered that Gamelan is much more difficult than it looks!



We celebrated the day with lunch at TGIF (Yes, one opened a couple months ago close to our house and we love it!).

 
In five days, Leasie will graduate from elementary school. I found myself feeling a bit nostalgic today.

Here's a picture of Leasie a couple months before she started Kindergarten. I think a part of me will always picture her this way.

I'm so grateful to have spent the past eleven years with this sweet girl.






1 comment: