Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving 2012 will be remembered 
as the one where I made 80 rolls with CJ's help so that everyone could have four rolls each (Madi's personal request.)
It will be remembered 
as the one I worked. For the first time in my life, I worked on Thanksgiving day. I taught English to my wonderful 9th graders at Jakarta International School.
It will be remembered 
as the one where I scrambled to collect Madi, Tman, and Meya from school during one of my breaks, loaded them in the car with our driver, and sent them home early so they could enjoy time with Dad.
And it will be remembered 
as the one with the torrential downpour. 
After two hours of hard rain, the main road to our housing complex flooded and was consequently closed.
So our sweet friends (Barkers and Prendergasts) endured more than double the normal commute time to reach our house. 
"Over the River..." has a new meaning.

But once everyone arrived safely, we unloaded the food, gave thanks, and piled our plates.

 Pictured below, our friend, Owen Prendergast, enjoyed all the sides.




We had two kids' tables, and one adult table. Madi is not pictured below because she finally graduated from the kids' table to the adult table this year. 
I loved having a bustling, over-flowing house full of people. It helped me not get too lonely or homesick for friends and family who are far away.

I found a poem by Emily Dickinson about Thanksgiving:

One Day is there of the Series
Termed Thanksgiving Day.
Celebrated part at Table
Part in Memory.

The poem is longer, but this is the stanza I've been thinking about all day. It's true. Thanksgiving is split. It is celebrated at the table with friends who are present. But Memory plays a large part in the celebration. So on this Thanksgiving, I am grateful for friends who braved the Jakarta floods to reach my house. And I'm also grateful for friends and family with whom I've celebrated in years past. And finally, I'm thankful for family who is no longer here. My grandparents. My great aunts and uncles. Memories of them adds a tenderness to my Thanksgiving celebration. It is the joy of the present and the heart-string-tugs of the past that make Thanksgiving meaningful.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment