Wednesday, November 7, 2012

God Bless America

Tonight, in Jakarta, we celebrated being American.

 With hotdogs...
 ...and apple pie.


Here's what I want to remember about this day:

I felt a deep homesickness today. Not for Virginia (though I miss Virginia so much!). Not for my friends and family (who I miss even more!). But for America...for the excitement and privilege of going to the polls in person and being present on election day.

The pulse of the students at Jakarta International School was lively as we watched the results unfold.
I stood side by side teachers and watched the big screen tv during my breaks. We marveled together at how close each state's race was (closer than most expected.)
I saw students clustered around laptops, yelling out results as they were posted.
My students requested periodic updates during class time.
There was a tangible interest in the outcome of this election, not just by the Americans, but by the world. And I need to remember that the general, overwhelming desire by non-Americans was in support of Obama. Obama has been embraced by the world.

I am so grateful for my freedom and my citizenship in a country I dearly love.
And that is worth celebrating.

1 comment:

  1. Can't get more American than A&W root beer! And guess what, I miss Virgina also (and I moved to MD in 1978). You can take the girl out of Virginia, but you can't take Virginia out of the girl. Nice post Holly.

    ReplyDelete