Sunday, November 18, 2012

Stake Conference

Stake Conference is a regional church meeting that happens twice a year. Because of living in Jakarta, more than half of the service is in Bahasa Indonesian. Here we are listening to the translation (which puts a whole new spin on the experience). I am so grateful to the translators. My favorite line today broadcast over the live feed was from a missionary: "Louder? I have to be louder?"
 
There is something powerful in joining voices to sing hymns in Indonesian. I've been singing these songs since I was little. The melodies are the same, the messages are the same, only the language is different. To hear them in another language and add my voice, makes my heart soar. "Come come ye Saints..."
 CJ loved wearing the headset. Certainly helped with the sitting-still factor.
I am grateful for these experiences. For the combination of the familiar and the new. Tradition and the culture. But mostly, I am grateful for the world-wide church, where the teachings and Spirit is the same, no matter where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment