Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Overrun

It's been a little over a week since I posted about my new running schedule.

And after five early morning runs, I'm completely converted. The cooler air, the quiet, the easy-breathing. All good things.

I got to run with my husband Monday morning before the rest of the city was awake. And at the end of four miles, I felt so good that we went one and half more miles. I haven't run five consecutive miles since my last run in Virginia on my favorite trail about ten months ago.

It felt so good...until, that night my heel felt like it was on fire. Yep. An injury. I guess I ran too long too soon.

So I've had to scale back. But I'm not going to give up.

We're adhering to my mother's motto around here: Hoe to the End of the Row. My mom grew up in Idaho surrounded by potato fields. And as a service project, her family worked on a church farm hoeing potatoes. The rows were long. And I can only imagine how dry and hot it was. As she worked on a row, her dad (my grandpa) would tell her to finish what she started...hoe to the end of the row.

So for the next couple weeks, we're hoeing to the end. The kids are hanging in there as they finish projects and take tests. I'm nursing my heel, but I'm not giving up on my running. I still wake up early to exercise and to make a hot breakfast before school. I finished my last day of teaching preschool and hosted a preschool party.

Plus I'm gearing up for a couple adventures on the horizon (I'll post about those soon).

We may feel a bit overrun, but we're still going. And we're looking forward to celebrating all the good things that come when we hoe to the end of the row.  

No comments:

Post a Comment