Friday, January 28, 2011

Snow Chronicles Part 2

What do you do when there are nine inches of snow on the ground and the day presents itself like a blank piece of paper just waiting to be filled?

Well, I could have done some extra cleaning, I could have organized the office as per my January goal, or I probably should have started prepping my bedroom for my painting project. Instead, I made cinnamon rolls. Two batches.

We dined on warm cinnamon rolls after dinner last night then reheated them for breakfast this morning and again after we came back from the second day of sledding.
I wonder if this was a wise use of my time. And it has gotten me thinking...about my Grandma.

When I was a freshman in college I caught a ride with a friend to Idaho Falls (four hours away from Brigham Young University) to go visit my Grandparents. Of course, I brought my stack of books and my reading lists with the intention of spending the weekend getting ahead on my studies. I arrived in the evening and was greeted by my Grandma and Grandpa and a delicious meal. Piping hot ham, little peas and potatoes in a cream sauce, and homemade blackberry pie. After weeks of dorm food, the dinner was more than a meal. It was a feast.

After dinner Grandma and I went to her TV room. She had purchased my favorite wafer cookies with frosting (they came in a pack with vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry). She opened the package and brought me a tall glass of milk. We sat together watching a show, while she sewed, and I ate the cookies. At one point I said, "Grandma I've eaten an entire row of cookies!" She smiled approvingly over her sewing and said, "Good, Holly. Have some more. I got them especially for you."

You know, I can't remember what books I brought with me to read that weekend. I can't even remember a single fact I memorized. But I remember the food. And I remember the love from my Grandma that accompanied each delicious bite.

Sometimes, love equals food. In a good way.

So, I guess the cinnamon rolls were my way to show love to my family on this snow day. And in that sense, there was no better use of my time.

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious - maybe you'll share the recipe sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad the girl you visit teach didn't get any!!!! They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete