Friday, January 7, 2011

Let the Countdown Begin!

In one of my favorite childhood movies (Never Cry Wolf), a crazed arctic pilot hollers as he is about to climb out on the wing of his plane, in a storm - mid flight, "How do you beat boredom? Adventure!" I love this line and have repeated it often throughout my life.

I've had some pretty big adventures. Living in Alaska. Traveling to Russia and Poland for a summer. Being the TA in London for a semester. Raising twins. But the biggest adventure of my life has begun. In just a short six months our family is moving to Indonesia for two (maybe three) years. We are thrilled! Okay, I am thrilled. And I'm pretty sure my excitement is rubbing off on the kids. I know they don't understand the immensity of the change...new school, third-world country, new food, new bugs, new climate, new language, new home, new people, third-world country, third-world country. But oh, the adventure!

And the adventure begins now as I tackle the daunting task of getting ready for the move. The house! Yikes! And the paperwork (medical, international school applications, financial records) all has to be in order. I'll have to be more organized than ever before.

But there's something about planning for such a huge change that just makes me happy. Call me crazy - but I look forward to having my life and world shaken up.

2 comments:

  1. Holly - this is so exciting. Debbie Theobald and her family are going to Africa in a couple of weeks for 8 months for a project she is working on for their company. Former CP Ward members are traveling the globe. What a great adventure you will have - you'll have to update us on your blog about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Holl. I am so excited for you and a little sad. Even though I know we don't see each other much just the thought of you so far away makes me a bit teary. That said, I know you will still be near in the spirit of our friendship! And I can't wait to hear all about this amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete