Sunday, May 2, 2010

Piano Lessons

In January, Madi started taking piano lessons from a new teacher. The teacher came highly recommended, and we actually had to schedule an "audition" with her. Madi had taken piano lessons for three years and had some great teachers. But we sensed she was on the cusp of needing some expert training...something more to really challenge her and push her to be a better pianist. She was accepted into the program, and we now drive 1/2 hour each way to the hour-long weekly lessons.
It worked. In the last three months Madi has gone from a "beginner" student who I had to beg to practice, to a diligent, motivated musician. She graduated from her Lesson 3 book ahead of schedule and was given her first authentic classical piece to learn and memorize this week. Bach's Minuet in G.

T-man has also started piano lessons. We found a good beginning teacher, and he is making great progress. He mastered "Indian Song" last week - a huge accomplishment since it involves chords with the left hand in addition to melody on the right hand.

This morning, as I worked on my Sunday lessons, Madi and T-man serenaded us on the piano. Madi played through her favorite songs from her Lesson 3 book and completed the first page of Bach's minuet. Truman plunked away with his lively "Indian Song."

I've always had this vision of my children learning to play the piano. Piano lessons were one of the best gifts my parents gave me. There is no other sport or musical instrument that I have used or enjoyed more. And I'm so pleased that Madi and T-man are well on their way...

1 comment:

  1. You are bringing back memories from long ago - Minuet in G and The Indian Song - I used to know them well. It's so nice you don't have to force them to practice. You are one lucky mom.

    ReplyDelete