Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Well-oiled Mayhem!

I LOVE a schedule. I thrive with time-slots, appointments, buses to meet, homework assignments and weekly deadlines. I think the added daily pressures ease my procrastination tendency, and I am so much more productive. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the easy summer schedule (or lack of a schedule). But Fall is when I'm in my element, and I'm at my best.

Here's a typical day with our new autumn schedule:

6:30AM - Baby C wakes up. I gather her with her bundle of blankets and head downstairs to change her diaper and nurse her on the couch. I buoy myself in the stillness and get ready for the day.

6:45 - Wake up the kids (Meya bounces out of bed with a cheery smile, Leasie goes straight for her clothes which she neatly set out the night before, and Madi & T-man tunnel in their beds until at least the third wake-up call).

7:00 - Hot Breakfast served!

7:30 - Race to brush teeth, kneel for family prayer, backpacks on, final kisses and hugs.

7:40 - Wave goodbye as the four oldest board the bus.

7:45 - Baby C and I exercise. I run pushing the baby jogger. Baby C is good for exactly thirty minutes. Any more and I can expect either a loud protest or worse, a premature nap.

8:15 - Cleanup breakfast (yes, that means breakfast dishes and chaos was left until now - sorry mom, but it's true). I snarf a banana and protein bar (that's my breakfast).

8:30 - Read "Polar Bear Polar Bear," "Baby Neil," and "Ten Nine Eight" to Baby C, do a puzzle, and roll the ball to each other.

9:00 - NAP TIME!! My absolutely favorite time of the day. Shower. Work (it is definitely WORK) on my novel, write on my essays, and prepare lectures for class.

11:00 - Baby C wakes up just in time for us to go outside and meet the Kindergarten bus.

11:30 - Lunch served on cafeteria-style trays.

12 to 3 Various combinations of the following: Run errands, let the kids watch a DVD, craft project, playground visit, long walk, laundry, cleaning/pickup.

3:00 - Girls home, snack, homework, instrument practicing, lessons, soccer breakfast, make dinner.

5:30 - (My second favorite time of the day!) Hubby is home. Dinner. Family scripture study.

7:30 - Bedtime routine. Chapter book read-aloud.

8:00 - Clean, watch a little TV, read.

9:30 - Collapse in bed feeling grateful for a very full day!

No comments:

Post a Comment