Sunday, September 13, 2009

Two Milestones

The first day of school! Meya was the first to wake up, padding softly into my bedroom with an almost-whisper, "Mom, is it time for school yet?" The clock read 6:20, ten minutes before it was set to go off. I kissed her and whispered back "Yes!"

Oh the joy! New clothes, new shoes and great backpacks (thanks Grandma and Poppy!) I had to keep reminding them to eat - they were too busy talking, explaining, and wondering-out-loud about all that awaited them. The excitement reached giddiness as we waited for the bus. Then Madi and Leasie buddied up with a twin, promising to sit by them on the bus and
walk them to their classroom.
It was hard to feel any sadness about this happy day. And it wasn't until the four kids crossed the street, each older child holding a younger child's hand, that my throat tightened with emotion. And with happy tears, I waved goodbye to the big yellow bus carrying my forth grader, my second grader, and my two Kindergarteners.
Then Baby C and I walked into the quiet house together.
The first day of school was also Baby C's birthday! She is one year old. She picked daintily at the frosting on her cupcake and licked her fingers. Then signed "more more" after each lick.
I had taken the twins to the store that afternoon to buy Baby C a couple extra small presents. I let the twins choose the gifts. When we got to the checkout, I realized that I had left my wallet at home (sometimes I am such a scatterbrain!) So we left the selected toys with the cashier. With the craziness of the afternoon, we never made it back to the store.

When it was present time, T-man and Meya gave Baby C a couple of their favorite toys which they'd carefully wrapped and decorated.
It made my heart so happy to see them care for their sister.

A good day. With lots of smiles. The best kind of tears. Cupcakes. Presents. And love.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! First days of school are so wonderful - and I love it when they buddy up :) AND happy birthday to baby C, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful children! We loved seeing the pictures and hearing about the first day of school and Charlotte's birthday. By the way, we are slow with our gift.
    Southern Mom

    ReplyDelete