Sunday, March 8, 2015

Madi at 15

She wakes up on her own and gets ready for school without complaint. She urges me to hurry so she will be on time for seminary. 

She loves blueberry muffins, pumpkin muffins, white bread, peanut butter ice cream and chocolate chip cookies (especially the dough). For her birthday "cake" she requested pecan sticky buns.  She still does not like mixed food or food with sauce.

She plays the cello and is at this point, basically self-taught with the piano. She's made incredible progress to learn hymns and beautiful lyrical music. She will sit at the piano for hours just playing and playing. My favorite songs to hear her play are from the movie soundtrack of "Pride and Prejudice."


 She studies without needing any prodding or nagging from Owen and I. She has her sights set on a college scholarship (already) and strives to do well in school. 

On Sunday morning, she wants to be on time for church. This often leads to frustration when her siblings or Mom (ahem!) isn't ready. 

She is independent and busy.

She consumes books. I've known her to read an anticipated sequel in a single day.  Just yesterday she brought her book in the car to read at the stop signs and stop lights (she gets motion sick and can't read when the car is moving).

She picked High School track over soccer this spring - a remarkable decision considering her love of soccer. In the end, it came down to coaches she loves, fellow team members, and a sport in which she feels she can truly make a mark. She has trained through the winter months in snow, ice, wind, and rain - a show not just of dedication but of a love of running.

All this striving, studying, and exercising sometimes results in grumpiness and some harsh judgements. But she's working on this.

Her siblings flock around her when she's willing to play. I always know when she's leading an epoch play session from the tell-tale squeals and overall volume which can reach earthquake levels.    

I love to hear late-night whispers and giggling come from Madi's room where I know she and Elise are confiding in each other. 

It's not easy being the oldest. We've talked about this many times. Yes, it's unfair to have to be the eternal Guinea Pig of all our home rules and consequences. But there are privileges too. Late nights, time with friends, trips with me to Bali and NYC, and solo-flights from Indonesia to the US. 

My dear Madi, I am grateful you are my first. My first baby, my first teenager, my first high schooler. You strive and reach. You are an example. You are a joy.

1 comment:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe she's that old already.

    ReplyDelete