Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Happy Places in the Dead of Winter

What is your happy Winter place? I'm not talking about a fantasy destination...what is happy in your present life that gets you through the dead of winter?

February is hard. There's a general consensus among my friends that February is the hardest of all the months. Dark. Cold. Things seem to break (aka cars, furnaces, pipes, tree limbs). So while I'm extremely pleased we have made it to March - which has got to be better, right?! - I can't leave behind February without a fight.

February may have hit hard, but there were some happy moments too. Here are my February happy places:

#1 - My Gym! I love Anytime Fitness! My handy dandy fob lets me in anytime I want. I have been there at 5:15AM, braving the snowy streets, just to get in my workout. I love how warm and clean it is. My personal favorite: spin classes with Vicki.

The photo above also represents my #2 Happy Place. I started work at Ocular Melanoma Foundation in January. During the month of February I started working more closely with patients (Warriors!) who want to raise awareness and funds for the organization. It is hard to stay gloomy after talking with these amazing inspirational people. 

Happy Place #3: Music with Charlotte. Charlotte is a cheerful, dancing, singing girl. When the rest of us mope around the house, complaining about the cold, Charlotte sings made up songs about her life. We've heard melodies about cereal, upbeat tempos about her hamster, and ballads about how hard it is when someone is angry at her. It's a constant Charlotte broadway musical.
Happy Place #4 Okay, it's not really a place; it's a day. Madi turned 15 on February 18th! Yes, 15 years old - the heart of teenagehood, the age of most heroines in young adult novels! I surprised Madi by arranging breakfast at Coney Island Diner with some of her friends. Balloons, noise makers, pancakes, maple syrup, and omelettes can turn a normal, cold, wintery day, into a sunny celebration!
So while I'm not sorry to see February go, I'm grateful for these happy places that got me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment