Sunday, July 6, 2014

Count Down: Yogyakarta Day 1

With only 9 days left in Indonesia, I'm going to try to blog everyday.  For today and tomorrow: our final family adventure to Yogyakarta!

Our first stop was Prambanan - the beautiful 9th century Hindu temple. 

 Monks descended the stone stairs, and although they were visiting as tourists like us, their presence added a cultural, authentic feel to the scene.
Although the kids thought the temples were "very cool" - the ATV rides were the highlight of the day. 
Truman was so excited he didn't want to pose for any pictures. As soon as he got the go-ahead, he pressed the gas as far as it could go. He was a daredevil around the curves and couldn't stop smiling.
 Not everyone loved the ATV rides - Amelia was a bit anxious to get off. 
The tandem bikes were more Amelia's style.

Not pictured: My Epic bike fall! While dismounting, my flip flop (already broken from when I caught the tip on a stone step) got stuck in the pedal. Over went the bike, and I went with it. I landed on my back, my feet up in the air, catapulting my flip flop a good ten feet away. Amelia gave it a "10"!

We biked to a Buddhist Sewu temple. It is an 8th century structure. Because most of the temple was discovered in ruins, the restoration project is expansive. It's like a giant set of legos. Some of the temples are still only piles of stones waiting to be reconstructed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment