Thursday, July 10, 2014

Confessions of a Stressed Out Mom!

I don’t deal with stress very well. The muscles in the middle of my back clench until I feel like I’m carrying a backpack full of bricks all the time. My erratic sleep pattern includes late nights and 3 to 4 AM wake ups. My chin looks terrible. And my mood swings are monumental - ranging from bounce-off-the-wall-highs to sobbing lows. Oh I am fun to be around!

To keep my psychosis from getting out of control, there are a few coping strategies I employ:
  •        Morning prayer and scripture study are a must.  
  •        A daily call to my Mom (who has been through many moves and is a fabulous sympathizer). I love to hear her say, “In three days from now, it will all be finished, and in a couple months from now, it will all be a mere blur.”
  •       TV Free-for-all zone. Normally, I'm pretty restrictive with our TV time. Not during packout. The kids can watch as much television as they want. I'm not even keeping track.
  •       Looonnnggg runs. As in 8-10 mile runs. I start at about 6:30 (and earlier on the mornings I wake up at 4AM). I run along with the morning traffic through the neighborhoods of Kemang. Usually at about mile 6 the stress floats away and the backpack of bricks disappears. I cherish those moments of clarity when I remember my priorities: family, love, goodness, Indonesia, and gratitude.
  •       Caramel Popcorn. I have a weakness for sweets, especially cinnamon rolls, warm chocolate chip cookies, and pies. But my kryptonite is caramel popcorn. (Curse you Katie for introducing me to heaven in a bowl: kettle corn, marshmallow caramel popcorn – it is soooo addicting!). I usually make a bowl ALL for myself every other day. I don’t know how many calories a batch has, but it probably equals out what I burn during my long runs. It's a vicious cycle -- run, eat caramel popcorn, run, eat caramel popcorn -- but it seems to keep the crazies from taking over.  
I’m not kidding when I say I make an entire batch for myself. Let me recount a typical caramel popcorn episode in my house:

Amelia: Is that caramel corn for you or for us to share?
Me: It’s for me. (I hold the bowl protectively against my torso and try to keep my voice calm. But it comes out as a low growl.)
Amelia: Okay. I’ll just wait until you’re done. (She backs away cautiously.)
Me: I can make you a separate batch. (Trying to salvage my dignity.)
Amelia: Like you did yesterday?
Silence. Dignity is un-salvageable.
Me: Yes, Amelia. Exactly like yesterday.


And that’s it. My stress busters: prayer, Mom, TV, running, and caramel corn!

No comments:

Post a Comment