Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day and the Mix

I think what I appreciate most this Mother's Day is the mix. What I mean is the variations of life - the vicissitudes. The chaos mixed with calm, the moments of joyful sibling bliss amid the squabbles, the satisfaction coupled with the frustration. I truly believe it is the very nature of this mix that brings me joy as a mother. 

My Mother's Day celebration started on Saturday. I wanted the entire family to go for a run around the Kemang Club neighborhood as a pre-Mother's Day activity. It was a great idea...until we tried rousing everyone Saturday morning at 7AM. There may have been some resistance (I won't name names my lovely teenager.)
 The temp and pollution proved a bit difficult. Open fires along the road burning leaves and rubbish left me choking and my eyes watering. At one point Elise and I could barely breath because of some overwhelming pollution - a sickly sweet, stifling exhaust that burned my throat. But there were good moments too. Charlotte's request, "Can I get down and run now?" Amelia's deep, steady breathing as she kept up a good pace. Having to call ahead to Madi, Truman, and Elise to slow down for their old mom. 
These were good moments.

We also celebrated with a rare breakfast outing to Koi restaurant. 
The good: Belgian waffles topped with chocolate mouse and ice cream.
 The funny: We asked for a small serving of maple syrup. The waiter brought the smallest amount of maple syrup I could have imagined in this munchkin-sized pitcher.
Do you see how well-behaved Charlotte is being in these pictures? 
The trouble: Once Charlotte finished eating, she used her pink scarf as a fishing net, throwing it over the bench at the people sitting behind us and at the waiters. Many apologies. Next, Charlotte draped the scarf around my neck then pulled to strangling-tightness. Finally, the scarf was confiscated by Dad, rolled into a ball, and stashed in his pocket.

There was also a breakdown: We tried to get a nice picture...
 which led to a little pre-teen drama
 And ended in an amused Madi, a pouting Elise, and a not-pleased Dad. 
(I told Elise she'll look back on this and laugh. She told me today, "I'm still not laughing!")

My early years as a mom, I struggled to find joy because there was SO MUCH CHAOS (there was also a hefty amount of exhaustion). I thought a perfect house, a perfect outing, and perfect kids equalled perfect mothering. There was a time when I would have considered the morning run and the breakfast outing failures because of the unexpected challenges. I now believe it is the good and the hard all mixed up together that brings me satisfaction (of course, a good night's sleep is also very helpful). It is the glorious simple moments and the crazy ruckus - both challenging and rewarding - that I cherish as a mom right now.

Here are a few more special moments from this Mother's Day weekend I want to remember:
Helping Truman get ready for the Blue & Gold banquet by straightening his neckerchief on his scout uniform and
encouraging him that he looked great, even if the uniform is a bit big.
Holding Charlotte while watching a movie. She is the only child small enough for me to still hold comfortably. Oh my heart.
Watching my oldest daughters clean up lunch and do dishes without any drama. 
Throwing a baseball in the afternoon sun on the cal-de-sac with the three youngest.
Listening to Truman play "Don Giovanni" - he's almost got it!
Listening to Madi play "Sense and Sensibility" songs on the piano and realizing her piano skills have surpassed mine.
Watching Amelia sew her cross stitch project and having her proudly show me her progress.
Hydrangeas (my absolute favorite!) on the dining room table Sunday morning. 
A hug from my daughters and the soft whisper during sacrament meeting, "Happy Mother's Day, Mom."


Here's to the mix.
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment