Sunday, June 9, 2013

8 of 10: Truman's Half Birthday and a "Catch You Later"

One night in May, Tman and I had the following conversation as I tucked him into bed:

Tman: It's May.
Me: Yes, I know.
Tman: So...it's been almost 5 months since my birthday.
Me: Yes?
Tman: So...when are we going to have my party?
Me (suddenly panicking): Your party? Is this your year to have a birthday party?
(To clarify, we only have friend-birthday parties every other year.)
Tman: Yes. Remember, Amelia had her party last year. (Then, probably sensing my panic, he added,) But it's okay. I don't need a party. I haven't had one since we moved here. Another year won't matter.
(Total. Mother. Guilt.)
Me: Of course we'll have a party!! (Said with mustered confidence as though I had secretly been planning a party all along). We'll do it on your Half Birthday!

And so, three weeks later, we celebrated Tman's 9th Birthday on his Nine and a Half Birthday. Tman, his friends, and our family played laser tag, swam, and ate pizza, cake, & and ice cream. This is the only picture I remembered to snap with my phone as the boys were waiting to go swimming. It's safe to say, it was a memorable day for my sweet boy who deserved every minute of the celebration.
 
Now a goodbye.

One of the difficulties of attending an international school is the amount of turnover each year. It is a transient group of people. Between faculty and students, about 25% leave each year. Tman's best friend, Tane (from New Zealand), is moving back home in a week. Yesterday they spent their last day together swimming and playing soccer.

The happy/sad thing is Tane's mom, Tina, was one of my best friends in the English department this year. Happy because she and I loved to talk about our "little men" together. Sad because that means my friend, Tina, is also moving. So as Tman said goodbye to Tane, I had to say "Catch you later" to Tina (because she refuses to say goodbye!)
 
I kept my composure until we pulled out of their driveway and started for home. I had to pull over in front of a stranger's house and have a good cry. I am going to miss these friends dearly. I let myself feel the sadness of saying goodbye. I embraced it. Because if there's one thing I've learned from a life of moving around, it's this:

If the goodbye is sad, then it means you did something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment