Monday, June 3, 2013

5 of 10: Food!

A strange fact: I have as many pictures of food from our Sydney trip, as I do of the Sydney Opera House. And most of the pictures highlight salads.

After living in a developing country for two years, one of my favorite parts of being back in a first world country was getting to eat fresh food Worry Free! Worry Free - how marvelous! Meaning, I didn't have to worry if I was going to suffer a horrible bacteria infection that would consign me to the toilet in my hotel room for the duration of my visit. Or worse: I didn't have to worry that I would  be plagued by a parasite who would live in my system for weeks, if not months.

Yes, we eat salads and vegetables here in Jakarta. But the vegetables require a lengthy washing process. And I hardly ever dare eat a raw vegetable salad in a restaurant for the fears listed above. Even in my own home, I regularly experience a moment of "should I or shouldn't I?" before taking a bite of salad.

Oh the joy of the Sydney cuisine! Worry Free and delicious!

We discovered a small bistro Sunday afternoon whose display overflowed with salad choices. We drooled over the selections like kids in a candy store.
 
Our last night we dined in Manly - a beach town on the furthest peninsula of the bay. I had not yet eaten shrimp. And isn't "shrimp on the barbie" the quintessential Australian food? We asked a local at a bike shop for a recommendation. His directions led us to a tiny restaurant tucked away from the tourist crowd. Best shrimp I've had the pleasure of eating. 
 
One last picture. A Ben&Jerry's store sat on a street corner across from Manly Beach. My husband 
indulged in a decadent brownie Sundae with double scoop of mint ice cream. My choice: Cherry Garcia, of course! Yes, we were in Australia. But we couldn't resist a taste of good ol' American ice cream.
  I've always loved good food. But living in Jakarta has made me appreciate good, clean food. 
Wherever I live, I hope I never take Worry Free dining for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment