Wednesday, June 12, 2013

10 of 10: And Here We Go...

Somewhere on the roaring streets of Jakarta as I was on my way back from Block M having purchased housewarming gifts from Indonesia, it hit me. I'm going to France.

Tonight.

I had a little cry (mostly because I'm suffering from a large amount of anxiety about getting all 7 of us ready for this long trip). But I also cried out of gratitude. Gratitude for once again getting to do something I never imagined I get to do. And suddenly, the zooming motorcycles and plumes of exhaust seemed a bit more bearable.

I took French in High School, then completed four additional semesters of French at BYU. And I always dreamed to getting to use the language outside of the classroom. But that was a looooong time ago. And I don't remember much French.

I just hope there's a disco in Paris, because the only phrase I can remember well is: "Je voudrais aller a la disco tech." And of course, I've practiced how to ask for "pain du chocolate."  Between those two phrases, we are sure to have a grand time.

In preparation for our trip, the kids each chose a topic to study and give a presentation. Elise did the Arch de Triumphe. Madi did the Eiffel Tower. Truman chose Napoleon Bonaparte (though after doing some web searches he was mostly intrigued about some guy named "Napoleon Dynamite"), Amelia presented on Edouard Manet, and Madi also did Claude Monet.

We spent an hour one afternoon painting a la Monet style. It was delightful. I love the variety in colors of each painting and how each child connected their colors with times of day.

Looking forward to seeing the real thing:


1 comment:

  1. Monet - one of my favorites. What a wonderful experience for your family and I'm a bit jealous that you'll be able to see so many Monet's in one place. Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete