Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Secrets

Let me tell you a couple secrets. First, I love summer. (OK, that's not a huge secret). But I really do love summer. I love having the kids home all the time. I love lazy mornings with big breakfasts. I love letting the kids stay in their pajamas. I love walking up to the swimming pool mid-morning and staying there until our hunger drives us inside for lunch. I love baking in the kitchen with Madi making cranberry coffee cake and homemade macaroni and cheese. I love staying up late watching movies - or lately, an episode of "Once Upon a Time." And I love answering "yes" to the request for just one more page from "Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry."

Now, more of a real secret.

Years ago, I gave up on my dreams of travel. I think once the twins were born, and the cost of life doubled, I put my desire to see the world, on a very dusty back shelf. I watched as friends and family traveled to far off places like England, France, Italy, Iceland, Holland, South America, and Turkey. I looked at their pictures, I listened to their stories, and while I was happy for them, I was sad for me.

Around the time that I was pregnant with CJ, I fell in love with a poem by Anne Campbell called To My Child. My friend, Karen, knew I liked the poem and framed it for me. It sits on my dresser. Here is a stanza:

You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.

I find peace and comfort in the words because they remind me that my children are so much more precious than any place I could visit...and they are worth any sacrifice. 

And now. Now, because of living in a third world country, my prospect of travel has changed.

Tomorrow our family will board a plane to go to Italy. For one week we will tour the Tuscan country side and visit Florence and Pisa. Then we head to Rome for a week where we will meet my parents. There we will explore the Colosseum and the Vatican and eat lots of Gelato. From there, the kids and I fly to England where we will stay with friends who live an hour outside of Oxford. (Just typing these words seems absolutely surreal).


To think that I get to see this...
And this...
 

And explore this...

When I try to wrap my mind around it, I get all weepy. Weepy with overwhelming gratitude.

And it is no secret that I am counting down the hours to a dream coming true - a dream that I had parked on that dusty back shelf years ago.

There is something truly sweet about the full circle idea that it will be with my children and dear husband that I will finally get to see my Italian landscape and experience my bit of foreign sky.

Italy...here we come. 

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you. Take lots of pictures, and update your blog frequently so that I can live vicariously through you! :) Safe travels! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will so love Italy - had the best pizza I've ever had in Florence and will only eat thin crust now. I could have spent a week at the Vatican and the Hall of Maps. The Sistine Chapel will be very crowded and the guards will tell everyone "no photos" but it is amazing. I could spend a week in Italy and not get enough. I'm so excited for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know when you get to England, We live in North Yorkshire, maybe we could get together!

    ReplyDelete