Monday, April 18, 2011

Liberty

She took my breath away...this Lady Liberty, standing tall and proud on the water.

We climbed all 156 steps (Meya counted them outloud) to the platform beneath her feet. We looked up at the massive book, the torch, her generous hand. I tried to imagine what it was like for those thousands of people who came from all over the world, seeking freedom, and seeing her for the first time.

And I was grateful--grateful in an awe-struck way. Grateful for my freedoms and my liberties, which (though cliche to say) I take for granted much too often. I read a quote in the museum and have not been able to forget it, "Liberty is not doing what you want, it is the desire to do what you can."

The city spread out before us, the skyscrapers miniature from our perspective. And I think my children caught a glimpse of the magnitude of their incredible fortune to be born in this land of freedom.
And for that, I am also grateful.

1 comment:

  1. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

    ReplyDelete