Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Failures and Successes

Finally, I can write about what has REALLY been going on for the past three weeks. My husband has been in Indonesia doing a language immersion program in preparation for our upcoming move. Which means three things: 1) He had some adventures in our soon-to-be new home country, 2) I was a single parent for 3 weeks, and 2) Between the two of us there were plenty of failures and successes.

This will be a two-part post...and today I'll just focus on some of my husband's adventure. This is the view from his hotel window:

Tropical. Steamy. Jungle. I can feel the humidity just looking at this picture. It is common to have coconut and banana trees outside most buildings. It rained at least once every day (I guess I'll be taking our rubber boots), hence the greenness.
My husband rode the public transportation as he traveled to and from the college campus. One day, a woman was on the bus with her chickens. They are not dead - just amazingly calm and tame. They were going to market.

He saw crazy things being transported by moped, but his personal favorite was a fourteen foot banana tree.
Eating. Who knew my husband could be such an adventurous eater? He tried many of the local fruits: salak (a fruit that looks like an avocado), jeruk bali (a melon-sized green grapefruit), and seafood galore. One night he dined on squid cooked in its black ink.

We exchanged daily emails (I'm so grateful for technology) and they were often the highlight of my day. The kids and I laughed right outloud at some of his stories. I walked away from those emails with a mix of emotions...utter, gut-wrenching fear of what we're about to embark on, and butterflies of excitement as I imagine the adventures we'll have and the stories I'll soon have to share.

The countdown to Indonesia has begun!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you blog and will enjoy reading about your adventures in Indonesia (I still have a ring from there that one of my babysitting clients gave me many, many years ago). I'll be thinking of you in all that humidity - that would be something I wouldn't look forward to. When are you planning on moving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

    =whistle

    ReplyDelete