Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Turning 37

It's official. I can no longer say I'm in my mid-thirties (unless I stretch the truth a bit)...so it's a good thing my 37th year was a good one.

It was the year I taught my first summer course, it was the year I agreed to be the drama camp director of 42 kids (and survived!), it was the year I decided to take a break from teaching for the fall semester so I could be more present for my family, it was the year I took my first cooking class and learned how to make apple fritters, cream puffs, and use puff pastry (happy family!), it was the year I attended my first writer's conference...and it's the first year in a long time that I've felt truly content.


It was a year to be celebrated...and thanks to my wonderful friends and family, I celebrated! Here's my delicious birthday lunch at Karen's house. And here are some of my favorite birthday wishes: "Sometimes I dig deep and find my inner Holly" (Jess).

"I'm so glad you were born." (Magen)

"Attention Ladies and Gentlemen, and now the moment you've all been waiting for, the birthday crown!" (Joseph, pictured below).

"I remember taking you to dinner for your birthday 21 years ago...my parents drove us." (Brad on facebook).
"At least you only look 33 Mom." (Thanks, Madi)
And my personal favorite: "You make 37 look good." (Whether it's true or not, my sister, Katie, always knows exactly what to say to make me smile.)
Next year...I'll be celebrating my birthday in Indonesia! Crazy, I know.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to say I could have been your mother but since Denise turned 37 last month that would be a little hard. And I have to agree with Madi - I thought you were in the 33-35 year range, actually just a little older than Kim who turns 32 next month. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures in Indonesia. So nice we got to spend some of those 37 years with you in CP Ward.

    ReplyDelete